Friday, April 14, 2006

Washing Strangers Feet - Kinky?


The strangest ritual during Holy Week to an outsider would be Maundy Thursday. That's the time in some churches where the clergy kneels before the congregation and washes the feet of those gathered. When I first heard about it (since I am a convert to Christianity) I thought it more than a little strange, even a little kinky. However, after considering it in context I find it one of the most significant moments during Holy Week.

The ritual mirrors Jesus actions at the Passover meal, when he removed his garments and knelt at the feet of the Apostles. He washed their feet, an intimate yet submissive act. Something performed by a servant for his Master, and yet in that act Jesus demonstrated the humility that must be present in someone who a Master.

As a member of the leather community, I have come to appreciate rituals for a lot of reasons.
They provide a framework to hang our understanding and beliefs upon. Rituals highlight the importance of life's passages and honor the simple things that make our community what it is. The ritual of Maundy Thursday, offers a framework for my life and my service. It reminds me how human I am and how humble I must be to do the work set before me by God.

If you are not a part of the BDSM/leather community, this rambling post might not resonate at all with you, but if you are, perhaps it will help you understand how the messages Jesus gave us sometimes have very different interpretations. I guess it all depends on whose eyes you see them through. However, the meaning and message will shine through clearly, if we only take a moment to remove our outer garments, kneel and take on the humblest of tasks.

Have a joyous and meaningful Easter.

No comments: