Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Juneteenth!

One of my favorite holidays here in Texas. Juneteenth! Or June 19th to you non-Texans. This day is when emancipation finally reached Texas some two years after it was declared. That was back in 1865 when the Union Army lead by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas.

Today it's a worldwide holiday of emancipation and freedom.

Why does a white guy from Dallas celebrate it? Well I sincerely believe "until all are free none are free", and emancipation freed the citizens of Texas from the oppressive spirit of slavery.

Freeing the slaves freed the slave owner as well, though few celebrated it at the time. From my childhood I remember African-Americans celebrating the day with picnics and feasts. Now I join my African-American friends in that celebration and we chow down on some great food with good friends.

Looking forward to some of that this weekend!

No comments: