Monday, June 16, 2008

Goodbye Associated Press! AP Cracks Down On Blogs

I understand intellectual property concerns. I have had not only excerpts of my material quoted, but a few times my entire work, in this case a book, was published in-line without permission. I do not worry about people quoting my work in reviews or news blogs so long as there is a attribution to me as the author and/or a link to my works online.

That said, I find it pretty odd that the Associated Press has begin cracking down on bloggers using quotes from AP stories online. When they hit the Drudge Report for a 39 word excerpt it got my attention. I often quote news stories in my blogging and editorial writing for publications. It falls under the category of “fair use” as I understand it. Apparently, AP wants a “no use” policy in the future.

Such a draconian restriction will severely limit the spread of news and information. I always link to the original article and try to give proper attribution to excerpts. To deny bloggers the use of this will have a chilling effect on the entre free flow of information in blogs. I would not be surprised if the traffic to AP’s affiliates web sites will drop and with that drop a fall in ad revenues as well.

I will respect the wishes of the Associated Press and try to refrain from ever using a quote from an AP story. I will continue to use AP stories as source material, and that is as it should be, but I will no longer link to any articles that bear the AP brand. I hope my readers will have the intellectual curiosity to seek those stories out on their own. Meanwhile the blogosphere will continue with or without the Associated Press.

Interested readers may go to the New York Times and read the article entitled: "The Associated Press to Set Guidelines for Using Its Articles in Blogs " No link included to assure there will be no copyright infringement.

No comments: