Saturday, August 18, 2007

More Poisoned Goods From China - Now It's Kids Clothing

Got formaldehyde? Well if you bought kids clothes made in China there’s a good chance you do. The latest in a string of recalls from the land of poisoned toys comes in the form of children’s clothing. The clothes being sold in New Zealand have 500 times the acceptable level of formaldehyde in them.

New Zealanders are wondering why there is no government testing of clothing imports, and I suspect there will be political repercussions from this recall. The problem of tainted goods from China seems to be epidemic. From lead paint in toys to loose magnets that could cause choking the quality control for Chinese goods would seem to be nonexistent.

As for personal experience, I can give you a great example of shoddy Chinese goods. A few years ago I was installing a greenhouse in our backyard. To anchor the structure to the concrete foundation, I bought galvanized steel bolts. These were screwed into sockets I embedded in the concrete when I poured it. As I twisted the first bolt into the hole, the top of the bolt sheared off at the first sign of resistance. Upon inspection I found that the bolt was not steel, but pot-metal coated in zinc to look like a galvanized steel bolt. Guess where it was made? China!

I returned the defective bolts to Home Depot and replaced them with USA made ones after a lot of searching. I would hate to think of people’s lives being put at risk from poorly made or outright fake hardware like the bolts I found. The lesson? Examine everything you buy and approach anything made in China with caution.

No comments: