Thursday, May 20, 2010

Malawi Sentencing - Prison For Loving

As Steven Mojenza, 26, and Tiwonge Chimbalanga, 20, were sentenced to 14 years in prison for loving each other in the Malawi courtroom, Tiwonge made this statement.  I warn you it will make you cry.
"I love Steven so much. If people or the world cannot give me the chance and freedom to continue living with him as my lover, then I am better off to die here in prison. Freedom without him is useless and meaningless." Tiwonge Chimbalanga
 Meanwhile the politicians of  Malawi, the land locked, dirt-poor African country were belligerent of criticism by the international community.
"I do not think that in this particular case that these two people were prejudiced against," he said. "We have no law that criminalizes sexual orientation, just certain sexual acts." Anthony Kamanga, Malawi's solicitor general.
In years past the west looked at Africa and unfairly called the people living there "savages".  In this case, I can understand why.

No comments: