Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Christopher Buckley Leaves National Review After Endorsing Obama

Conservative author Christopher Buckley has endorsed Barack Obama for president. That endorsement may have cost him his position at his father, William F. Buckley's longtime home, The National Review.

Buckley writes in The Daily Beast blog:
Within hours of my endorsement appearing in The Daily Beast it became clear that National Review had a serious problem on its hands. So the next morning, I thought the only decent thing to do would be to offer to resign my column there. This offer was accepted--rather briskly!--by Rich Lowry, NR's editor, and its publisher, the superb and able and fine Jack Fowler. I retain the fondest feelings for the magazine that my father founded, but I will admit to a certain sadness that an act of publishing a reasoned argument for the opposition should result in acrimony and disavowal.

No comments: