Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Cuil vs. Google - My Test Run

After hearing about the "cool" new search engine that is challenging Google for search supremacy, I signed on and tried some comparison searched. First I had to get used to the way results are returned and the look itself.

Google is a blank white screen with the logo and search box centered. It was uncluttered and a welcome relief from the flashing banners and mess that Yahoo and others had become before it's arrival. Cuil is a blank black screen with a centered logo and the search box. Not very original but functional.

The results on Google, I have become used to. I have learned to filter out the ones that are paid rankings and keyword ads and can quickly find what I figure will be most relevant to my quest. On Cuil the results come in a series of tables with a paragraph of content from the site itself. To quickly scan the results you have to scroll and personally I find them a bit hard to work with.

Also, Cuil has not yet developed a robust suggestive feature for dyslexic people like myself who misspell words constantly. Here is an example.

I searched for the term "Matachine" on both search engines. Cuil brought up a page of results leading off with "Matachine dances bind generations in tradition." Since I was looking for a history of one of the first gay rights organizations that would be a pretty lame result. Google also topped the list with the same link, but it added a note "Did you mean: mattachine?"

When I clicked Googles suggestion the first entry was a Wikipedia link for the Mattachine Society. A direct hit, albeit after a gentle correction to my misspelling. Nowhere in the Cuil list was that word shown with my spelling.

I am glad to see competition to Google, but Cuil will have to figure a way to streamline it's results to make them easier to scan. The multi-column text boxes are clumsy and do not lend themselves to a quick read.

Additionally, unless they can develop a similar suggestive search technology to Google's, I will stick with the Big G for now.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Hardy,
I'm anticipating Cuil to be far better in the near future. But for today, it's really difficult at the moment. Agree with you that the other search engines are cluttered. Never use them for that reason alone. Someone did a search on Google for "Cuil" and found hundreds of results, but searching on Cuil for "Cuil" resulted in a scattering, and the first result wasn't even the main site... Oh, well. Time will tell...
richard h.