Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New AIDS Treatment Using Old Drugs

It has been so long since I have heard really good news on the HIV/AIDS from that I rarely follow goings on in that arena, but today comes word of a study that is worth looking at.  Using a couple of drugs already FDA approved and in use for treating cancer, decitabine and gemcitabin, researchers have been able to cause the virus to mutate itself out of existence.  They call this "lethal mutagenesis" and it is working consistently in mice.

Mutations is the big problem with HIV and it has always been the problem with drug therapy, but since this treatment uses that mutation to work against the virus itself it's pretty startling.

I won't hold my breath, but I will keep following this one to see how well it rolls out into human trials.

No comments: