Wednesday, May 05, 2010

¡Cinco de Mayo!

Many years ago while my family and I were visiting friends in Puebla, Mexico, our hosts took us on a tour of the city's historic central district.  There, the cathedral still stands that stood watch over Mexican troops who defeated the French in 1862.  That date is celebrated in Puebla, but few other places in Mexico.

Here in the US we often think of Cinco de Mayo as Mexican Independence Day, but that is not the case.  September 16, 1810 when Father Hidalgo cried out the "Grito de Dolores" is considered the true Mexican Independence Day. I know this because it is the birthday of my favorite aunt who has shared a life long love of Mexico with me.

Cinco de Mayo really took off in California in the 1860s and of course in the 20th Century as the unofficial celebration of Mexican heritage and especially Mexican beer and food.  So, happy Cinco de Mayo and don't eat to many molotes de cuitlacoche!

No comments: