Monday, July 27, 2009

Antibiotic-Resistant Salmonella Found In Beef

I was a vegetarian for ten years. It was painless and I got pretty healthy during those years, though I cannot attribute it all to vegetables. I finally fell off the veggie wagon about 10 years ago when I was traveling a lot. Eating vegan on the road is next to impossible, so I went back to munching meat.

Long story short, about 2 months ago I dropped the meat again and apparently just in time. A Denver based supermarket chain sold almost half a million pounds of beef, some of which was contaminated with antibiotic-resistant Salmonella. Now that's a nice thing! Just when you thought you were safe from the antibiotic-resistant staph infection now this!

The company King Soopers recalled 466,236 pounds of potentially contaminated beef. That's a lot of burgers.

Again our factory based farm system and the lack of meaningful inspection is killing us. We dope animals with massive doses of antibiotics and crowd them into stinking feed lots and factory farms and then we are surprised when some new super bug shows up?

I will still eat the occasional hunk of meat, but for the most part, I prefer to leave this flawed food delivery system behind. Until people start raising cattle on grass and stop doping them with chemicals, I will settle for a nice tofu burger and a side of fresh broccoli thank. Safer and a smaller carbon footprint.

No comments: