Sunday, December 07, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Pearl Harbor Day

It was a Sunday morning, Dec. 7, 1941 when Japanese fighters roared across the island of Oahu and delivered their deadly cargo to he American fleet at Pearl Harbor. That "day that would live in infamy" has been the subject of numerous movies and books and is not likely to be forgotten.

I had a chance to visit the Battleship Arizona Memorial in Hawaii a few years ago and was moved by the still leaking oil slick that drifts to the surface of the water. As I browsed the gift shop I came across an odd item. It was a pictorial of the battle and the memorial but translated in to Japanese.

The irony was not lost on me, and it was fascinating that so many Japanese tourists were also visiting the site. I guess for them it was also a turning point in their history. Like Americans visiting Hiroshima, they must wonder like I did the strange flow of time that turned deadly enemies capable of such horrific carnage into friends. For that I am truly grateful.

Have a safe and peaceful Pearl Harbor Day.

No comments: