Friday, July 04, 2008

Biggot, Homophobe, Ex-Senator Jesse Helms - Dead At 86

Unrepentant racist and enemy to the entire LGBT community Jesse Helms has finally left the building. The former Republican Senator from North Carolina died today.

I am sure the GOP will start with their lofty praise for this mean old fart, but as for me, I can't celebrate the life of anyone so downright nasty. Here is a sample of Helm's quotes:

In a response to a fictional character in one of his newspaper clumns Helms wrote, "To rob the Negro of his reputation of thinking through a problem in his own fashion is about the same as trying to pretend that he doesn't have a natural instinct for rhythm and for singing and dancing."

As far as AIDS was concerned, "
"There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy."

I could go on but I would lose my appetite for the 4th of July hot dogs I am about to cook. Americablog.com has many more.

No comments: