Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nevada Judge A "Domme" In Her Courtroom

It amazes me that some people really have no idea how kinky they really are. Take the couple who likes a little playful spanking before sex. To me they are kinky, even though they would deny it. Kinky is not a bad thing, it just means you take your pleasures in ways that fall outside the mainstream. Anyone who knows me can attest, I am kinky and proud of it.

That brings me to the case of the Nevada judge, Elizabeth Halverson. She has been playing “dominance and submission” games for years. That expression would be the “DS” in BDSM by many definitions and that would qualify as kinky in my book. In itself that poses no problems at all for me. I live in a community filled with kinky folks, however most if not all of them know where it is appropriate to play their kinky games and where it is not. Judge Halverson apparently has a problem with setting those limits.

She has been suspended from her position and locked from her courtroom because she was repeatedly treated her bailiff as “her houseboy”. She has had him put on her shoes, drape a blanket around her shoulders and give her back massages. She is even quoted as asking him, “Do you want to worship me from near or afar?"

Now to be fair the judge does have a few health problems. She is very obese and uses a motorized wheelchair, but she also seems to be able to fend for herself and seems more than capable of dominating her staff. Apparently she can dominate her husband as well because she had him sworn in one day so she could ask him if he had completed his chores at home. If that isn’t the act of a Domme, (the term used for a female dominant) I don’t know what is.

The problem is one of consensuality, and bringing your kink into the courtroom certainly is a non-consensual act. I have no problem with people being as kinky as they want in the appropriate setting, say a bedroom or a private party or a public dungeon. Exercising your dominance over government employees who did not agree to that kind of role play is another story entirely.

I suspect Judge Halverson actually has no idea of her Domme tendencies and just thinks she is acting rationally. Perhaps she should be enlightened and read a few books on the topic. She might find her personal life becoming much more fun and her professional life much less controversial. Should she be interested, I would be happy to suggest a reading list.

No comments: