Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Plastics May Be Making Us Fatter

OK, I admit it I’m fat. Call me a bear, hefty or overweight, but the sad truth is I have a mid section that bulges and so far exercise and diet haven’t made it vanish. Now it looks like I might have been fighting a losing battle due to something beyond my control. In a recent study researchers are finding that many obese people have elevated levels of plastics in their bodies. No really, plastics!

The chemicals known as endocrine disrupters mimic natural hormones that control weight gain. So what does this mean? Well scientist I the study say our modern overweight problem is the result of too much food and not enough exercise and perhaps the addition of substances we ingest either voluntarily or inadvertently.

The rest of the story is in the Boston Globe.

No comments: