Saturday, December 01, 2007

World AIDS Day - Always A Good Time To Remember

On World AIDS day I find myself becoming bit maudlin as I searched the Names Project Quilt online. Finding far too many panels that bore the names of friends I finally decided to just log off and write.

I listened to an interview this morning on CNN with a leader in the African American community talk about how it was time that the black churches in America came forward to help stop the spread of AIDS. I found myself talking to the TV saying that, "20 years ago was the time ALL churches came forward to stop the spread of AIDS." And the story was followed by our glorious leader lying about how well abstinence programs are working.

Sometimes I think we live in some sort of alternate universe? Instead of kicking in the TV, I decided it would be better if I continued to work on behalf of people living with AIDS and continue to try educating my community about safer sex. It might not be as dramatic as putting my foot through the TV, but it just might save a life.

The quilt panel here was for John Thomas, a friend and tireless AIDS activist. God blessed us with his presence.

No comments: