Tuesday, November 27, 2007

GOP Resignations & The Revolving Door of Lobbyists

With the announcement of Trent Lott’s resignation following that of Dennis Hastert and other GOP faithful, I began wondering what caused the wave of exits. Thanks to my friends at ThinkProgress.org, I have found a possible explanation. New rules go into effect after the first of the year making the revolving door between elected office and paid lobbyist more problematic. In order to skirt those new ethics regulations, the rats are jumping ship early to settle comfortably into lobbyist jobs.

I guess the old excuse "spend more time with my family" will now mean, "get rich as a lobbyist" instead of "I am preparing my defense team". So once again the GOP shows it’s true color, green - the color of money. I have no problem with money, but I do have a problem with the bloated and corrupt lobby system on Capitol Hill and the endless stream of ex-Republican officials that occupy those offices over on K Street.

Next time you hear of an elected official retiring early, give them a call and ask them which lobby firm they are going to work for.

No comments: