Sunday, November 25, 2007

Another Rant About China - Go Figure?

After spending the entire day yesterday reinstalling Windows Vista because of a supposed virus that the kind folks at the HP Tech Center in India insisted I had, I have my computer crash yet again. Not wanting to confront the language barrier again I took it to my local HP Service center. Luckily it’s under warranty.
These people told me, ironically in a thick Indian accent, that it was probably the hard drive.

Oh boy! I just love these kinds of problems. I bought an HP because I figured it had better quality components that other off-brand machines. Wrong again! The drives are all made in China by 3 or 4 companies with different brands put on them for export.

Yes America has faded from the manufacturing playing field, and we have relinquished all our technology to a budding 3rd world superpower. Now not only do we get tainted toys filled with unsafe levels of lead, drug components with poison ingredients, dog food that kills our pets, but every laptop and desktop is actually made in China by semi-slave labor and the profits line the pockets of corporate fat cats in the US.

Ranting? You betcha! If I could find an American made computer I would buy it in an instant, but alas, they no longer exist. So my advice to you is, buy the cheapest off-brand you can find, because the only difference in that no-name bargain brand and the big name one is the label. And of course the year end bonus for the CEO and board of the American company that sold off all the jobs and the quality to China for a fast buck. Sometimes I think America deserves to fade as a superpower. We have so little faith in ourselves and our people that we gut our industry in the name of profits. Wonder where the consumers will come from in a few years when no Americans can afford the cheap Chinese-made goods?

No comments: