Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Someone Stole My Book - Part 2

Well I sent a letter to Scribd notifying them that the material that was posted was copyrigted and not authorized to be on their site. I was plesantly surprised when the removed it within a few hours.

I appreciate their diligence, however there seems to be something wrong with this system. They have a site that has absolutely no requirement for copyright verification when was posted by "Annon" . Now come on folks, if you don't even track who posts the stuff it seems to me you are aiding in the problem. Would a check cashing place cash checks on accounts without insisting on ID? Not if they wanted to stay in business long. The problem here is Scribd has nothing to lose. The make the copyright owners police the site for infractions and then correct the matter if it is caught.

If it is caught is the key. Over 2000 people read my book online according to the Scribd log. That might mean 2000 potential sales and that costs me money. Now I don't make squat from these books anyway, but that doesn't mean I worked all that time for nothing. Additionally I paid a very skilled artist to make the illustrations in the book. These were online as well.

Well enough of the rant. My point is you can parse the words in the mission statement, but having no verification for material posted sucks.

No comments: