Friday, January 12, 2007

Princeton Scientists Discover "Off Switch" For HIV

Researchers at Princeton University think they have discovered an "off switch" for HIV the virus that causes AIDS. Thought this is not a cure, it may lead to a way to deactivate the virus and essentially send it into hibernation. That would have profound effects on patients with HIV and could extend their lives and halt the progress of the disease.

As great as this news is, I find myself melancholy hearing it. I immediately am overwhelmed by the memories of the many many friends I have lost to this disease and wonder what he world would be like had this development happened years ago. The AIDS crisis is more than a news story to me. It has been one of the defining events in my life. Though I am still HIV negative, I find it hard to understand why. I loved through the 70’s and 0’s just like everyone else, I just got lucky and never became positive. For that I am grateful, and saddened at the capriciousness of fate.

I pray that this development may not be just another false hope for an end to HIV and AIDS. I pray that no more people will become infected. I pray that our government will finally realize that we must fight the disease with not only education, but also action. I pray that the politicians who have bought into the lie of "abstinence only" education will wake up and become part of a solution.

Lots of prayers. They are not new either. I have prayed the same ones for years and I only hope hey will be answered before any more people die.

No comments: