Monday, October 09, 2006

Kid With AK-47 Symptom Of The "Gun Culture"

Every time I hear of another kid pulling a gun at school I have to believe that this is another example of the "Gun Culture" in our country coming home to roost. We can’t continue to keep teaching our kids that settling their problems with guns is OK. Now before anyone goes and responds to this post with a typical NRA rant, hear me out. We teach our kids this deadly message every time we teach them that revenge is the answer to a problem. We teach them this every time we send a criminal to the death chamber. We show them that problems are solved with killing every time we justify wars. We teach them this every time we take them to a violent movie that is rated Parental Guidance. They learn our morals watching the evening news, when they see that problems in the adult world are often settled with violence.

Kids are impressionable and they are smart. They see our morals better than we do and though we may tell them settling matters with a gun is wrong, we often don’t reflect that in our actions. How often in this allegedly Christian country do kids see Jesus teaching of turning the other cheek put into practice?

When was the last time you settled a disagreement with a calm discussion and tried to reach a consensus instead of winning your point? For me it is a struggle, but I keep reminding myself that if I try, really try to follow Jesus teachings I have more success than when I don’t . Maybe the kid in Missouri with the AK-47 will learn that the only question a gun can answer is one with a deadly result. I pray for a day when guns are only used for target shooting and kids can go to school without walking through metal detectors.

No comments: