Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Wednesday Bible Verse - Amos 5:10 - 5:14

OK, I rarely haul out Bible verses, but while reading this morning I was struck by the words of the Prophet Amos who was writing about the sins of Israel. These words ended a long rebuke against them but they resonate with me today.
10 They hate the one who reproves in the gate,
and they abhor the one who speaks the truth.
11 Therefore, because you trample on the poor
and take from them levies of grain,
you have built houses of hewn stone,
but you shall not live in them;
you have planted pleasant vineyards,
but you shall not drink their wine.
12 For I know how many are your transgressions,
and how great are your sins—
you who afflict the righteous, who take a bribe,
and push aside the needy in the gate.
13 Therefore the prudent will keep silent in such a time;
for it is an evil time.
14Seek good and not evil,
that you may live;
and so the Lord, the God of hosts, will be with you,
just as you have said.
I have found that reading the Prophets can be very inspiring.  Their words, though meant for another time, still ring true to our present condition.  I remind myself that Prophets are not fortune tellers, predicting the future through supernatural means, they were truth-tellers, speaking truth to the power of the day. Because of that, I can still find truths in these words today.  Enjoy!

No comments: