Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Crazy Straight People Trying To Defend Marriage Again!

It amazes me how crazy fundamentalists get about LGBT people getting married. To hear them talk you would think that because I might marry my partner of 14 years, their marriages would shatter. Say what?

Logic has nothing to do with the arguments against gay marriage, the entire issue is emotional and has no shred of logic to it. Just look at the campaign that has gone online by the Alliance for Marriage Foundation. Their website which is supposedly designed to protect DOMA (The Defense of Marriage Act) is filled with emotional appeals to people about how important their marriages are to them.

I have no argument with the importance of marriage to the married couples. It is important, and it is a sacrament of the church. My problem is the government getting in the sacrament business! Governments should protect the legal rights of couples and the churches should do the marriage. Civil Unions for everyone!

Another insidious feature of the "protect DOMA" website is that all the quotes are from Hispanic or African-American people. They obviously believed the flawed statistic that African-America Obama supporters overwhelmingly voted for Prop 8 in California.

Look, all you crazy straight fundamentalists, if you want to defend your marriages, don't get divorced. Even better, do a whole lot of soul searching and compatibility work before you get married! That would really defend your marriage.

Meanwhile, I have decided that until I get the full rights of every citizen of this country, including the legal equivallent of marriage, I will refuse to support any politician or official who actively denies me my full rights as a US Citizen. I would stop paying taxes, but I really have a thing about jail time. And for all you crazy straight people, well go work out your sexual insecurity issues somewhere else and leave me alone!

No comments: