Monday, December 10, 2007

Colorado Shootings, Some Thoughts

The recent shootings in Colorado should give us all pause. The police have not released the name of the shooter, but I suspect whoever he was the sad truth is that he figured the answers to his questions could be found at the end of the barrel of a gun. What is it that causes people to think this way? I would put my money on a society that looks for vengeance rather than reconciliation.

There was a joke when I was growing up, "Don’t get mad, get even!" Unfortunately that has become a way of life in America and I fear it will be the kind of attitude that will eventually undermine civility all together. The gunman took the lives of numerous people and I suspect he saw that as some kind of solution. Instead it is just another part of the problem.

No comments: