Monday, October 01, 2007

A Day at Jury Duty - Now I Need a Chiropractor

It is a mind numbing exercise, Jury Duty. I have a great respect for our judicial system and would want a jury of my piers to decide my fate should I ever be accused of a crime, but there has to be a better way to physically do it. Prospective jurors are herded from one uncomfortable waiting area to another like cattle, all the while being constantly told how important we are and how much the state appreciates our service. In reality we are a commodity. Enough supply for the demand. We are interchangeable parts to be used or discarded and that's the truth.

If only they would hold a bond election to buy more comfortable seats for waiting, it would pass overwhelmingly. The pews, for that is really what they are, that jurors wait in are hard wooden and straight backed and probably came from some strict Calvinist church where the discomfort was considered penance for sins real or imagined. After waiting for hours on end in these torturous seats, the simple act of standing comes as a relief.

Why couldn't they come up with a system of "call on demand" jury where your cell phone wold ring if you were needed. You would be given a time window where you would be "on call" and wold be required to be only an hour from the courthouse. I am sure there are lots of holes in that plan as well, but hey at least it's outside the box and not on the hardwood bench.

I personally would gladly wave my $6 service salary to go toward pads for the benches.

No comments: