Monday, February 26, 2007

Al Gore - The Talk Of The Oscars

Though it will no doubt add fodder to the neocon-global-warming-deniers guns, it was great to see Al Gore on the Academy Awards last night. I know I may have to turn in my Gay Card, since I watched it on Tivo instead of live, it still thrilled me when "An Inconvenient Truth" won the Oscar for Best Documentary.

Gore has several moments onstage last night and took the time to promote reversing climate change at every opportunity. He also began to announce what everyone assumed was his candidacy for President when he was "played off" by the orchestra in the interest of time. A very funny bit!

The seriousness of climate change is not a political issue. It is a global reality that will affect everyone, rich or poor, Republican or Democrat. The people denying its existence do so for reasons that are strictly financial. They are paid by energy companies, funded by industry think tanks or supported by powerful political contributors who have a vested interest in the causes of pollution. It's time to expose their fraud and begin to take this as a serious crisis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much fuel does he use jetting around the country spreading his message? i love the do as i say not as i do crowd.

Anonymous said...

Well to answer your bumper sticker comment, Al Gore in a recent interview said he buys carbon dioxide offsets for his travels. These combined with his use of fuel efficient cars helps make a difference.

What are you doing to reduce carbon emissions? Personally, I switched to a power company that uses only wind and solar power generation. I have a hybrid car and replaced all my lights with compact fluorescents.

I can't change it myself but I can make a start and do what I can.