Friday, May 12, 2006

OKC Tribal Fire Conference Notes

Sunday night I got back from Oklahoma City and a very enjoyable event called Tribal Fire. The three day conference put on by National Leather Association - Oklahoma City, featured a vendors market and three days of workshops for kinky folk in all areas of BDSM. As a presenter, I was treated like royalty by the organization and I am very grateful to them for all their hospitality.

All these conferences are great places to learn new information and to catch up with old friends from around the country. Since many of the presenters come from other states, the leather conferences are much like family reunions.

What I found interesting was that this year there were no protestors outside the hotel. I remember the first Tribal Fire event, when the Concerned Women of America showed up to demonstrate their moral outrage at the event. Strange that most of those protestors, were men not women. I made an effort to speak with them and before the event was over a couple of them and I had real conversations about spiritual matters and BDSM. They had no idea what it was really about, they just knew that the images of leathersex were dark and foreboding and that was enough. Surely, they thought ths must be evil.

As a practicing Christian and a progressive, I managed to speak to them in their own language, and let them know that our activities were not only consensual, but in my opinion, spiritual in nature. I spoke about how people involved in the scene communicated and connected at a very deep level. To me, that connection is a sacred act. Another human being allowing you to interact with them on such a deeply physical level requires trust. It is trust from the receiver as well as the giver, both working together to assure that the scene will be fulfilling and ultimately safe.

In a way I kind of miss the protestors at this years event, I always like witnessing to people. Sharing with those who have no idea what BDSM is the joys and benefits it can bring. On the other hand, I suspect that some day, a few of those concerned "women" will eventually find their way into the leather scene and they will be healed of their self doubt and loathing. God bless them all.

No comments: