Friday, May 13, 2011

Tennessee Steps Backwards Yet Again - Move To Ban LGBT Anti-Discrimination Laws

Ah yes, the barefoot banjo pickers image for folks from the Volunteer State have just been further entrenched.  The state Senate passed a bill that would prohibit anti-discrimination laws that are stricter than the state's.  In other words this would void ordinances like the one in Nashville barring companies that discriminate against gays and lesbians from doing business with the city.   Since sexual-orientation and gender identity are not specifically enumerated in the state laws, if the bill becomes law, it will be open season on discriminating against LGBT people. 

Way to go Tennessee!  I have said this before and I will say it again, my grandfather, a blacksmith from Tennessee, would be appalled if he was still alive.  Though he was functionally illiterate, he was a liberal Democrat who used to tell me that if his finger touched the Republican lever in a voting machine, it would burn his skin.  So when I criticize Tennessee, I have at least a little skin in the game.

No comments: