Saturday, January 22, 2011

HUD Proposes New Non-discrimination Rules Protecting LGBT Citizens

After a lackluster two years for LGBT folks, the Obama administration is finally delivering on some promises made during the campaign.  I applaud the passage of the DADT repeal and the provisions for LGBT partners in health care, and now comes this.  HUD, the Housing and Urban Development Secretary has proposed new rules that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in several of the federal agency's programs.  These include government backed mortgages and public housing.

No in case you are among those who figure this doesn't affect private sector housing, well think again.  Allow me to relate a story from my own experience regarding HUD. Quite a few years ago, I lived in a high-rise apartment on Turtle Creek, a pretty tony neighborhood to be sure here in Dallas.  My building was fr a time managed by HUD because the developers had defaulted on the financing and the government had backed the construction.

So for three years, I lived in high-rise splendor managed by HUD.  Luckily I never suffered any discrimination from the landlords, after all it was Turtle Creek and walking distance from the Gayborhood.  So, the point is HUD has some far reaching ties and this is a big deal towards anti-discrimination for LGBT Americans.

No comments: