Thursday, September 02, 2010

NASA Cool Pic of the Day - Worth a Look

Copyright Dave Jurasevich (Mount Wilson Observatory)
I always love checking the NASA cool pick of the day.  This one is of the Bubble Nebula, a little speck about 11,000 light years away.  It is actually the remnants of an explosion of a star, and you can see the light from that explosion illuminating the clouds of dust and gas surrounding it.

Looking at these images of object so far away and inconceivably large it gives me a little perspective on how small and fragile our planet is.  Also, puts any troubles I might have inter perspective as well.  The universe is so large it defies any easy explanation.  That's a good thing in my book, I love the mystery of it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2nd try to post this... my 1st attempt had some errors in the links...


In other news of the universe...

Stephen Hawking recently is suggesting that God did not create the Universe. He and co-author Leonard Mlodinow have written a new book titled "The Grand Design" which suggests that the universe "just happened".

Personally, I've always been a "scientist" at heart, but still a somewhat firm believer in God. Yeah, they don't always complement each other, but I have justified it in my own simplistic ways by ignoring the issue of "Who came first: God, or the Big Bang?"

I do not want to upset your boat if you believe in a God that created this universe in which we live, plus God spending a LOT more time creating our world, and then populating it with all our billions and billions of people and animals.

I am however still having my own confusions of our world having just elaborated above.

With that said, I must submit to you this link which reviews their new book:

Book review: 'The Grand Design' by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-stephen-hawking-20100905,0,2573263.story

I would like to also point out that there is no mention of whether or not 'Hell' exists. I guess they didn't feel it necessary since Hell has has already been proven to exist indirectly via this thesis:
"Thermodynamics in Hell"
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bhudson/stuff/hell.txt

Enjoy the confusion. Contemplate your navel. It'll likely be much simpler...

richard h.
fort worth, texas, usa