Tuesday, November 24, 2009

An Ocean On Mars?

Last night my partner and I were looking at Google Mars. It's a wonderful program developed from the photographs taken by several Mars probes and includes details I had never seen before. We were postulating the features that are obviously due to erosion.

Today, I find this article which states that Mars once had a great ocean in its northern hemisphere and was a damp and rainy place. Pretty cool stuff. Especially when you consider how similar Mars and Earth are and that leads to the obvious question, was there life on Mars?

Hummm? Damp rainy, oceans, most likely a richer atmosphere? I suspect it is only a matter of time before we find the first Martian fossils.

I hope I am around to see that. I can only wonder how it will affect the theology of folks who cannot envision a God big enough for life on other worlds. Should be some interesting crises of faith.

No comments: