Monday, October 27, 2008

Early Voting In Dallas

Out here in the wilds of North Dallas, you would expect the McCain/Palin signs to be everywhere, but not so in my neck of the woods. Here in the once conservative bastion of Dallas I see more Obama signs than in my own front yard, lots more.

My partner and I voted Saturday, to beat the long lines that are sure to form on election day, and guess what? We got stuck in a line. After 30 minutes we voted, but the line behind us stretched across the parking lot and onto the sidewalk of the church where we voted. The even better news was the number of Obama bumper stickers on cars in the parking lot. They outnumbered McCain stickers 3 or 4 to one.

I know it's very unscientific, but I get the same kinds of reports from my friends who voted early as well. At last count over 1.1 million Texans have already voted in the 15 most populous counties through Thursday, compared with 655,265 in the top 15 counties four years ago. Wow!

Considering the demographics shows that early voters are mostly Democrats, I hesitate to get to encouraged, but the "L" word might be appropriate if the early votes are any indication.

No comments: