Thursday, June 26, 2008

Supreme Court Strikes Down Handgun Ban

Here in the wild west of Texas having a gun has always been seen as just a fashion accessory. The problem with them is that they keep going off and killing people. Oh well, fashion knows no pain!

Now the Supreme Court has affirmed the right of individuals to own handguns for the first time since the second amendment was written. There is that pesky part about a "well-regulated militia", but who cares about that.

The ruling strikes down Washington, DC's 32-year-old handgun ban. Now I do have to ask if that ban has made DC any safer? Somehow I doubt it, yet I have to believe that should a sudden proliferation of handguns occur, many of them will find their way into the hands of criminals. Oh boy! More criminals with guns, too! Heck, in Texas that sounds like a party, just add some booze!

Cynicism aside, I believe the country has been made less safe by this ruling. I have owned guns in the past. That past tense is because my house was burglarized and the thief stole them, along with almost everything else. That was many years ago and I haven't had a gun since. I have a burglar alarm system now.

The ruling thankfully, did not prevent states from requiring permits to carry guns. Let's hope that small measure of sanity remains in place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only will criminals have easier access to hand guns, more children and adult family members will be under threat of accidental death, usually due to the gun owner failing to adequately store and secure his or her gun. As a fellow native Texan, I too disagree with this ruling, especially as a past victim of hand gun violence.