Monday, June 02, 2008

Family Equality Day Blog – LGBT Families & Beyond

It's LGBT Family Day, and bloggers across the country are using this opportunity to tell the stories of their families both or origin and choice.

Our families take all different shapes. Some look a lot like the TV Sitcom family of the 1950’s with two parents and a couple of kids living in the suburban dream home, while others are decidedly more non-traditional. My family is one of those.

As a member of both the LGBT community and the Leather/Fetish/BDSM community my definition of family is much different. For me it is completely a family of choice. I am called “Daddy” sometimes, though I have no biological offspring and no one in my family is under the age of 30.

I have a “boy” who is related to me only by our mutual love and affection for one another. We have spent 13 very happy years together and plan to see out our lives through in this relationship.

I have many other boys and Daddies and Masters and slaves who make up my extended family and they are all as close as though we were brothers and sisters. Together we make up a large extended family who we can rely on for emotional as well as material support. No one goes hungry in our family. No one is without a friendly shoulder when needed or a helping hand. That is how close my leather family is.

Though I have lots of friends both straight and LGBT outside my family, it is the loving and supportive men and women of the leather community I rely on when things get tough. It is the same members of the leather community that I celebrate with when sharing a joyful event.

Though we may be politically non-correct and occasionally misunderstood, these people are my family and I wouldn’t trade them for all the “nuclear families” in the world.

No comments: