Thursday, December 20, 2007

Queen Elizabeth II Outlives Victoria Today

Queen Elizabeth II has been the only monarch of the UK that I have ever known. Today she passes the milestone set by Victoria and becomes the oldest reigning monarch in Britain’s history. At 81, Elizabeth II looks like she may reign for several more years and might just surpass Victoria’s record as longest reigning monarch as well.

I feel a special attachment to Queen Elizabeth. Aside from the catty comments some of my friends might make about "queens" I actually have a connection to her. My father was good friends with a Sir Lionel Whitby, one of the Queen’s physicians. Sir Lionel was a Hematologist like my father and they both served as Presidents of the International Society of Hematology for a time.

As a child I remember visiting Lady Whitby, Sir Lionel’s wife at Hampton Court several years after his death. She was a gracious and delightful woman. Due to Whitby’s influence, I was even once considering attending Downing College in Cambridge, however that never happened. My only legacy from that time are a few Christmas cards from Lady Whitby with the Royal address on them.

Long live Queen Elizabeth II and congratulations on another milestone in her reign.

No comments: