Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Baptist Preacher Dies in Kinky Accident

Imagine the shock of his congregation when the pastor of the Thorington Road Baptist Church was found dead at his home. Imagine the additional shock of the police report.
Reverend Gary Aldridge died of "accidental mechanical asphyxia" and was found hogtied and wearing two complete wet suits, including a face mask, diving gloves and slippers, rubberized underwear, and a head mask. Additionally an autopsy revealed a dildo in him covered with a condom.

Aldridge was an associate of the late Jerry Falwell and a graduate of Falwell’s Liberty University.

I would guess that his politics were as conservative as Falwell’s and it is another amazing incidence of hypocrisy that he died in such a tragic manner.

As a BDSM practitioner myself, I know the dangers of autoerotic asphyxiation. A close friend of mine died that way last year and I have heard many other stories. This kind of edge-play is often cautioned and condemned in BDSM workshops as patently unsafe, and had the Reverend been out with his kink, he might have attended some of these events and learned that lesson. Unfortunately it is now too late.

I would be tempted to dance a few rounds of the Schaddenfreude Polka, but I find I can only grieve for his family and friends. I hope his tragic death will serve as a cautionary tale about living in the closet and playing too close to the edge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me that people will have such a wide variation between their public and private "face".