Wednesday, September 26, 2007

TV Review - Big Bang Theory - Who Knew String Theory Could be so Funny!

OK, so network TV usually sucks. I agree, but I have my favorite guilty pleasures. Most of them are on CBS Monday nights and now I can add another. The Big Bang Theory, a sitcom from Chuck “Two and a Half Men” Lorre is packed with intelligent dialogue and just plain funny bits.

The “sit” centers on a couple of nerds, Sheldon and Leonard (I gotta figure those names are a play on one of the fathers of sitcoms) played by Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki. These two actors pull off the nerd roles well. I have to wonder if they didn’t spend time studying people with Asperger’s Syndrome while preparing for the roles. That condition is often referred to as nerds disease and is a very mild form of Autism.

The timing is flawless and their gags seem to always hit my funny bone. In the opening episode the two hapless guys are going to donate their sperm to a “genius” sperm bank. When they ask the receptionist if this is the place, she responds, “If you have to ask, maybe you shouldn’t be here!”

My only downside was the laugh track. They would do better with a studio audience. Watch it Mondays on CBS if you want to laugh and catch up on your string theory.

No comments: