Sunday, September 09, 2007

Iraq, Reports & Finding a Grain of Truth

This week we are going to hear lots of talk about Iraq..Most of it will be spin, either by the right or the left. Spin is not always false, it’s just biased, and though it may not represent good journalism, it will influence how Americans feel about the Iraq war. So far two reports have been presented to Congress, and both are pretty bleak as far as political progress in Iraq. The Al Maliki government is impotent by any measure.

Our military has been working under incredible stress trying to adapt to a constantly shifting enemy and objective and they have made progress, if it is measured by the correct metrics. Those wishing to see a “kick ass” victory in Iraq will be disappointed and those expecting to see a “hearts and minds” victory might be encouraged. Overall, the problem as I see it is we have an administration that wants a “kick ass” victory and a war where that kind of delineation is not possible.

So how to interpret all the reports? Well I will wait for Patraeus to give his talk to Congress and then I will make up my mind. I can tell you this. I want our troops home soon. They have been patient, loyal and more diligent than any other fighting force I could name. The continued deployment is simply unfair at best and cruel at worst.

The Pottery Barn analogy made at the beginning of the war still holds true, we broke it and we are going to have to pay for it, but I think there are better ways to pay for Bush’s mistake than with American lives.

No comments: