Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Dallas PTA Looses Its Charter

My mother is rolling in her grave. Seems the Dallas Council of PTA (Parent Teacher Associations) had their charter revoked by the statewide Texas Parent Teacher Association. Why? Well, seems the activity of PTAs in DISD is stagnant. Not enough new members and not enough improvement in the schools. In other words, the Dallas Council of PTAs has failed to motivate the parents of the kids in DISD schools.

There is no TAS test for parental involvement, but the activity of the local PTAs is a pretty good indicator of how much parents care about their kids education.

Of course there are voices screaming about the revoking of the charter. Some members of the Dallas Council site race as an issue. Now I will admit hat economics may be part of the problem. Parents who work two jobs or are single parents may not have time to spend at PTA meetings and functions, but unless you are saying that all minorities are poor, this seems to be a lame argument.

Every morning I watch mothers and fathers of every race walk their kids to school at the elementary school near my house. These parents take the time to make sure their kids get to school safely. I assume they may also take time to help their kids with homework and other tasks. Race doesn't seem to be an issue with that. Why can't some of these same parents meet a couple of times a month to keep their PTA active?

It's a puzzle I have no answer for, but I do remember how involved my parents were and how the PTA was a big deal in their lives. It offered them a chance to actively participate in my education. I can only hope the DISD can get it together and motivate enough parents to revive the PTA as I used to know it.

No comments: