Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Texas Religious Expression Bill Filled With Loopholes

Whenever the Texas Legislature passes a bill with a name like the "Texas Religious Expression Bill" you can bet there is a subtext somewhere that will push a specific religion, namely Christianity. As a Christian you’d think I’d be happy about this, but for some reason I suspect the brand of Christianity they will push won’t make me happy.

This bill, backed by Republican lawmakers is supposed to make it clear what religious speech is allowed in Texas schools, thus preventing the alleged Secular War on Christmas and other travesties. I will be very interested the first time a student tries to express their belief in Islam, Buddhism or any other non-western religion. I suspect the freedoms allowed will also allow either other students to shout them down or worse.

Am I a skeptic about the things the Texas Legislature does? You’re darn tootin’ I am. I only wish Molley Ivins was still around to get her take on this one. The devil is in the details. When you read the bill carefully there is a provision for a Student Forum of authorized speakers top speak at school events, football games etc. These are designated as supposedly chosen by a neutral means. Think again, when is the last time a homecoming Queen or King was chosen by neutral means? They will be part of the same cliques that dominate and oppress less popular students and thus able to impose their religious stamp on the introductions of the events.

Same old thing, the majority "rules over" the minority. Gotta love Texas!

No comments: