Saturday, April 21, 2007

Contaminated Beef Recalled - 5 States Involved

Normally, I feel pretty safe eating food her in the US, but lately I am really beginning to wonder. There is a recall just issued for frozen beef patties that are contaminated with e-coli. The disease has made children sick in Napa County, California. The problem is that happened two weeks ago and the recall just went out today! The meat was produced in 2006, so this stuff was obviously not carefully inspected. This is another example of the private sector doing a better job than the government. NOT! The FDA has been steadily gutted by the Bushies, allowing the private sector to self-inspect in many cases.

Now if you are concerned about profits, you want as little interference from things like health inspections as possible; slows things down! So, you skimp and you vacillate and people get sick and the gutted Centers For Disease Control take weeks to get the warning out and the FDA waits a week to issue a recall and voila! Sick kids, possible complications in others who have eaten this contaminated meat and all in the name of the bottom line.

Makes me want to grow my own food.

1 comment:

Librocrat said...

I think the first step will be taking out the crap from the food that is not contaminated. I ate a pomegranate ice cream bar the other day without thinking about it. I looked at the box - 12 freakin' grams of trans fat. Dude, no. I could have killed myself on two ice cream bars. I'll worry about the germs on them once the food itself is healthy enough to eat.