Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Orin Hatch Believes Flag Burning Most Pressing Issue Before Congress

Glad to know the Senate has it’s priorities together. We have an illegal war going on, unemployment is skyrocketing, millions without health care, a President who is breaking law after law, illegal wiretapping, billions of dollars missing in Iraq, a Gulf coast that is still vulnerable and far from recovered after Katrina.

I could go on ad-infinitum, but I would be sorely mistaken in Senator Orin Hatch’s opinion. He actually said there was nothing the Senate could be doing that was more important than banning flag burning.

Does anyone but me see what’s going on? The Republicans are trying to tie the Senate up in useless debate that only panders to their base until the election. Their hope is that it will whip the religious fundamentalists into a frenzy and they will turn out en-mass to re-elect their Senators.

I think they have, in the words of W, miss-underestimated the intelligence of their base. They figure the average bumpkin from Kansas will see pictures of flags burning and rush to the polls. Well I drove through Kansas recently with a "Impeach W" sticker on my bumper. I was stopped numerous times, not by outraged locals, but by locals who gave me the thumbs-up or personally told me they agreed.

Let’s hope that translates to a Democratic Congress in November.

No comments: