Friday, June 17, 2011

Faux Lesbians and the Blogosphere

As thought it wasn't bad enough that the lesbian blogger Amina Arraf on the blog “A Gay Girl in Damascus” turned out to not only be not Syrian, but a man, now the popular lesbian blogger “Paula Brooks,” editor of Lez Get Real" turns out to be a dude as well! 

As the blog world reels from the shock, I frankly am not surprised.  Consider how many people you may have chatted with online.  Have you ever met any of them in person?  Most likely not many.  Just because you have a Facebook page and an avatar of a hot guy or hot girl doesn't mean a thing.  The world of online communication is most text based.  As a writer, I understand very well how easy it is to write in a different persona.  It's what writers of fiction do all the time, so why can't peoiple get through their heads that their online friends may not be at all who they claim.

The story of Paula Brooks is only now beginning to play out, I expect several more well known bloggers may be exposed as not being who they say they are. For my readers, I assure you that the picture on my blog is me, and I am who I say I am.  Just Google me....after all if it's on the internet it must be true!

No comments: