Wednesday, December 22, 2010

President Obama Signs DADT Repeal

I just watched President Obama sign the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell and I got goose bumps.  He spoke eloquently of the gay and lesbian service members who have been unfairly discharged because of the policy and actually encouraged them to reenlist once the policy has been set in place.  Pretty nice to hear.

I will admit I have been critical of Obama over the past year.  I am impatient for the change his presidency promised.  I also am delighted to see at least some of that change starting to happen.

Do I believe all the barriers to equal rights for LGBT people will fall during his term in office?  No. However I am grateful for the changes that have happened so far. As of this date his policies and the laws passed in the past two years have gone further toward equal rights for LGBT American's than any other administration.  Perhaps, even with a GOP controlled House further advances can be made. 

No comments: