Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Boycott Target? This is all over $250?

OK, I understand the issue.  Target gave $150,000 to a PAC called Minnesota Forward.  That PAC in turn gave the cash to a candidate for governor, Tom Emmer.  Well Emmer is a conservative, but that is not what the brouhaha is all about.  Apparently Emmer gave some money to a rock band.  That band Junk Yard Prophets, part of the You Can Run but You Can't Hide ministries and there is the rub.  The Band and the ministry are vehemently anti-gay and even intimated that Muslims execution of homosexuals was a good idea.  He also spouts a lot of insane crap like "gays molest 117 people each before they are "found out".  (say what?)

Now how much money did he give?  From what I can find he donated $250 to the homophobic group.

OK, let's do the math.  $150,000 goes to a PAC that gives that money to a conservative candidate who gives $250 to a bunch of jerks that play guitars.  That around 0.16% of that money that made it into the hands of the jerks.

Now, do I dislike that idea.  You betcha.  However, thanks to our lovely Supreme Court, corporations can give whatever they want to whoever they want.  When I look at Target as a company, they support a lot of LGBT causes as well as have a pretty good employment policy for equal rights. They score 100 on the Human Rights Campaign scorecard of corporations and that's pretty good.

So when I consider boycotting Target, an action that will have negligible results, I just have to wonder if it's the right idea.  Companies donate money to candidates across the political spectrum, it's unfortunate but true.  If I boycotted every company that ever gave a dime to a conservative cause I would be making my own soap and growing veggies in the back yard.

So if you want to boycott Target, good for you.  Will it do anything?  Probably not, but it might make you feel good.  While you are at it don't shop at WalMart either, they scored a dismal 40 on that report card from HRC, and same with Office Depot and Radio Shack and stay away from Exxon, AutoZone and ....well the list goes on.

My point is, a one time donation is paltry compared to corporate policies that discriminate against LGBT people.  Boycott Target?  I might, but I prefer to give them a little more time.  Meanwhile the HRC is stewing and wondering how to react.  They gave $150,000 to the challenger in the Minnesota race, so at least some of the money I give to HRC is actually going to facilitate change, but I prefer to wait a bit and see all the facts in this mess.

UPDATE:  Below is an ad produced by Move-On encouraging a boycott.  Here is my problem.  They give absolutely no statistics, no facts just a bunch of catchy slogans.  "Target is trying to buy elections."  Well, duh yes they are and so are every other company in the country since the Supreme Court opened the flood gates. 
I would expect something a little more substantial from Move-On, but they have fallen into the world of mindless advertising that works well for the right wing.  Make it catchy, and avoid any facts!  Welcome to America the Stupid.

No comments: