Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pete Sessions Asks What Would You Cut From the Budget? Start WIth His Salary!

I once wrote a letter to Pete Sessions, my Congressperson, or at least the Representative from my part of Texas and BINGO I am on his mailing list! That is a mixed blessing. First it lets me know what the GOP propaganda line is on whatever is going on in Washington, and second, it occasionally gives me a chance to screw up their "push polls" and other disinformation initiatives.

In my last update, Representative Sessions wanted me to join other "loyal supporters" and tell the GOP what we thought could be cut from the budget. As a start they suggested a half dozen red herrings and then made the mistake of asking me what I thought could be cut. Well let me tell you what I told Pete.

For starters how about trimming tax subsidies we give the oil companies. In a study by the Center for American Progress it is stated that "the total government savings from eliminating these subsidies is projected to be $45 billion over 10 years." That's not chump change and a good start.

Next I suggested that the C-17 Cargo plane the military uses was another example. The military already says it needs 180 of these heavy lifting cargo planes for efficient operation. So what does the Congress do? It authorizes 223 of them, 43 more that the military even wants. In 2009 Congress continued to fund the production of C-17s with a $2.5 billion appropriation, despite the strong objection by Defense Secretary Robert Gates and the President.

The military in general is a problem. The Pentagon budget for 2010 is $693 billion. That represents more than all other discretionary spending programs combined. In fact the US spends 55% of the global military budget, more than any other country. How about a little trimming the fat there?

Another spot where a little fat could be snipped? Tobacco Subsidies in the United States totaled $944 million from 1995-2009. How about making that $0? Spend enough to transition farmers to less deadly crops and stop subsidizing the deaths of millions of Americans.

Shall I continue?

Now do I think Sessions will read or much less care about my suggestions? Aw hell no. Pete is in business for Pete. He and his cronies will manipulate public opinion and federal dollars to benefit their pals, that is a given especially with the GOP. But at least it made me feel better.

Oh and the best cut we could make wold be to snip his salary. If we did, he might resign and go into the "private sector". After all the Private Sector does everything better, right Pete?

No comments: