Friday, September 04, 2009

AIDS Vaccine! Maybe This Time?

It seems like a lifetime, and for many of my friends it was, since AIDS began its deadly work in our community. For the past 2 decades we have heard whispers of "vaccine" but have yet to see any research that bears this rumor out.

Now come word that Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla is reporting they have isolated a couple of antibodies that can neutralize many strains of the HIV virus. I hesitate to get too excited. We have heard this story before and it has always ended up disappointing.

It will bear watching to see if this time there really is a viable vaccine that can stem the spread of the disease. I have to wonder how hard the drug companies that make millions selling anti-retrovirus drugs will fight against this? Do I sound skeptical?

I pray that this research is going to pan out. I am very tired of watching people fade away.

1 comment:

Alex Bronson said...

one of the main benefits of this new AIDS vaccination break through is all the hope it will give to the millions who are affected by this condition