Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife - Take Tissues Or Insulin

OK, I admit part of the fun of this movie is getting to see Eric Bana naked dozens of times, however the film itself is pretty good.

Let me temper this by saying I never read the novel, so I am basing my opinion solely the movie. It is a stange story of a woman who falls in love with a man who somehow moves back and forth through time. Rather than a voluntary thing, his travels are triggered by some random means so he is often tossed into a strange situation. Because it is something genetic, he arrives au natural, something that makes his trips less than serene.

Not to dwell on the story, for fear of giving it away, I will tell you how this film made me feel. The movie had a strange melancholy effect and though it is a touching love story it is also somewhat sad and nostalgic. The message of the picture was about memory, loss and love, and it managed to touch most of the audience by the number of sniffles I heard as we left the theater.

It is a little bit of a science fiction mixed with a healthy dose of "chick flick", and though I usually don't like the latter genre, this movie worked for me. Though some might find it a bit saccharine, I liked it a lot...and Eric Bana has a nice ass.

No comments: