Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Stephen Hawking And The US Health Care Debate

I rarely cut and paste articles here, but this passage from Huffington Post is so vital to understanding the lies being told by the right wing about health care reform that I had to do it.

Rachel Weiner writes in Huff Post:

In an editorial on July 31, Investor's Business Daily warned of end-of-life counseling in health care reform by saying people like Stephen Hawking "wouldn't have a chance" in the such a system.
"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

In fact, Professor Hawking lives in England, where he has been treated by their National Health Service. And by his own account, it saved his life.

"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he told The Guardian. "I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am alive today because I have an Honorable Discharge from the US Army. Had it not been for VA Hospital there is no question I would have died in 2001. The US Government runs the VA, the VA runs the VA Hospital, and I am a surviver because of that system. WHY can people not see that National Health Care would be better? People would still have a choice: private or public. What could be simpler? Only goes to show that the whole drive against the US Health Care changes is all about money, and those who would profit by it not changing from its current bad system.

richard h.
fort worth, texas, usa