Thursday, December 18, 2008

Obama's Choice Of Rick Warren Troubling

I have been holding off criticizing the choice of Rick Warren as the pastor to lead the invocation at the inauguration. I held off because I think I understand the Obama teams reasons for the choice, but my inner activist can stay quiet no longer.

I worked for the Obama campaign. I made calls, worked data bases and showed up to help more than I have on any other candidates campaign. Myself, along with thousands of LGBT people volunteered in this work and while working, I saw no fundamentalist evangelicals sitting beside us at the makeshift campaign offices. I never spoke with a volunteer who espoused a hatred of gays or a vehiment anti-abortion stance. So what gives?

I suspect this is an olive branch to the religious right, but I think it is a mistake. I had no illusions that Obama was a far left liberal like myself, and I did think he was very politically astute. It remains to be seen if this choice which has appalled the LGBT community is a trend.

I will give hinm the benefit of the doubt. I will wait until he is in office before I make any really pointed criticisms, however I am dissappointed by this choice. Billy Graham would have been less contriversial, so now I am waiting and seeing.

No comments: