Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

As I prepare to have a wonderful Christmas Eve with my friends and family, I am reminded of one of my favorite scenes in the movie, Auntie Mame. Rosalind Russell sits down with her family and family of choice to exchange gifts. The year has been dismal for her economically, the Wall Street Crash wiped her investments out and so there was very little to share.

Though Mame had nothing to give she was rich in the real gifts of humanity. Her friends and family shared what little they had with her and in the end that Christmas with so little became the best Christmas of all. Later in the film, Patrick Dennis is reminiscing with Auntie Mame and they talk about that Christmas they were "so broke". Of all the days they remember, that one was most special.

Well, I didn't have a bundle in the stock market, and I hardly have a house full of servants like Mame, but this Christmas I find myself lucky. After a year of spotty freelance work, I have a steady gig for now. I have a few remaining family members and a host of family-of-choice to celebrate with. I am still pretty much broke, but at least the bills are getting paid.

I have a wonderful, considerate partner who gladly shares my life and two delightful feline companions to snuggle with on cold winter nights. I have a leather family that extends from coast to coast and beyond. I have a welcoming church with a congregation of active and caring people who live out their faith every day.

So much to be grateful for, and hardly any of it involves buying gifts or wrapping packages. That's what the real spirit of Christmas is, and for that I am truly grateful.

My wish is that you might all have such a wealth of reasons for gratitude during this holiday season!

2 comments:

Zelda Rose said...

Merry Christmas, Hardy.

Hardy Haberman said...

Merry Christmas to you too, give my best to Lanie and tell her to get well!